Our aim is to recognise and provide, where possible, services to match the needs of older people.
- Residents confirmed that they would stay in Ponteland as they get older.
- Support for the provision of more care homes.
- Existing provisions for the care of older people.
- Services required supporting older people.
- Specific housing requirements.
- Other needs, including public transport and activities for older people.
PROPOSED SCOPE OF WORK (i.e. Topics to be addressed)
There are two main GP surgeries at the Ponteland Primary Care Centre and one private facility/NHS at Broadway
- White Medical Group, Ponteland Primary Care Centre, Meadowfield, NE20 9SD 01661 822222
- Ponteland Medical Group, Meadowfield, Ponteland NE20 9SD 01661 825513
- Ponteland Medical Group /Newcastle Premier Health, Darras Hall Clinic, Broadway, NE20
- Higgins & Winter Dental Practice, 17 Bell Villas, NE20 9BD, 01661 872 979
- Darras Hall Dental Practice, Broadway, 01661 822645
- HB Opticians, 29 Broadway, NE20 9PW, 01661 820008 (offer hearing tests/ consultations).
- Mackley and Steven Opticians, 25 Main Street, NE20 9NH, 01661 823 374
- Boots Pharmacy, 7 Broadway Ponteland, Tyne and Wear NE20 9PW
- Taylor’s Pharmacy, Brewery Lane, Main St, Ponteland, Newcastle, NE20 9NZ
- Parklands Chemists, 14, Merton Way, Ponteland, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE20 9PX
- Both GP practices dispense to residents living over one mile away from a community pharmacy.
- Ponteland Foot care, 8 Bell Villas, NE20 9BE, 01661 820077
- Ponteland Primary Care Centre
- At HB Opticians, 29 Broadway, NE20 9PW, 01661 820008
- Chris Oakey, Podiatrist, Unit 3, Meadowfield Court, Meadowfield Industrial Estate, NE20 9SD
HOSPITAL LED SERVICES – AT PONTELAND PRIMARY CARE CENTRE
- Consultant Orthopedic surgeon clinic
- Consultant Gynecologist
- Consultant in Pain Management
- Consultant Physiotherapist in Pain Management
- Consultant in Parkinson’s Disease
- Specialist Nurse Clinic in Parkinson’s Disease
- Consultant Gastromoligist
- Consultant Plastic Surgeon
- Specialist Nurse in Plastic Surgery
- Consultant Podiatric Surgeon
- Ponteland Primary Care Centre
- The Cree Physiotherapy Centre, 101 Cheviot View, Ponteland, Newcastle 01661 823319
- Physiotherapy Matters, Darras Hall Clinic, Broadway, NE20 9PW
- Therapeutic Massage Clinic, Darras Hall Surgery
- The Spa, Meadowfield Court, NE20 9FD, 07906 352 173
- Trigger Points Massage & Sports Injury Clinic, Unit 1, Meadowfield Court, NE20 9SD
HOUSING SPECIFIC FOR OLDER PEOPLE
- Darras Mews
- Old Station Court
- Thornhill Road
- McCarthy and Stone, Henderson Court, North Road
RESIDENTIAL CARE AND NURSING HOMES
- Ponteland Manor, Thornhill Road, NE20 9PZ
- Grange Lea, North Rd, Ponteland, NE20 9UT
Atholl House, Callerton Lane, 01661 824434
Abbeyfield House, Cheviot View, Ponteland, 01661 872969
Leonard Cheshire Disability, Thornhill Rd, NE20 9NU,01661 867610
Meadowfield Park, Meadowfield Road.
Planning permission granted Manners, Meadowfield Road.
- Only available at Merton Way Car Park. Ladies and gents, open 7am to 4pm
- Thornhill Road
- Current provision estimate 10-15 years (NCC). Document attached.
AMBULANCE RESPONSE TIMES
- Ambulance response times are within target (tbc plus evidence)
ACTIVITIES FOR OLDER PEOPLE
There are a range of activities for older people at:
- Merton Hall
- Memorial Hall
- United Reform Church
- Methodist Church
- St Matthews
- Ponteland Social Club
- X 77 Newcastle – Ponteland – Darras Hall (Western Way & Woodside) Monday to Saturday
- X78 Newcastle – Ponteland – Darras Hall (Broadway) Monday to Saturday
- X79 Newcastle – Ponteland North Road – Police HQ – Kirkley Hall Mondays to Friday
- 74 Newcastle – Westerhope – Ponteland – Darras Hall – Stamfordham – Matfen – Gt Whittington – Oakwood – Hexham Monday to Saturday
- 74A Newcastle – Kingston Park – Airport – Ponteland – Stamfordham – Matfen Sundays & Bank Holidays only.
- 131 Jedburgh – Otterburn – Belsay – Ponteland – Airport – Newcastle Mondays to Saturday
- 508 Gateshead – Newcastle – Belsay – Rothbury – Cragside Sundays & Bank Holidays only
- 714 Gateshead – Newcastle – Belsay – Kielder Sundays & Bank Holidays only www.arrivabus.co.uk/serviceInformation.aspx?id=19327352994&r=North+East
- Ponteland Hopper Service Friday 10-2 Door to Door Service within Ponteland operated by Adapt.
2. EXISTING EVIDENCE BASE
- Initial Community Survey Results
- 2011 Census Ponteland Parish
- Ponteland Town Council Local Plan May 2012 (withdrawn)
- Northumberland Planning Application 13/00132/OUTES Birney Hill
- Better Health, Fairer Health Strategy for 21st Century Health & Well-being in NEE
- Castle Morpeth District Local Plan
- National Planning Policy Framework
- NCC Housing Needs Assessment
- Ageing Well Older People Housing Needs Report and Toolkit
- Life Time Homes, Lifetime Neighbourhood’s
- Northumberland County Council Infonet (www.>northumberland.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=564)
- Northumberland Sustainable Community Strategy –Resilient for the Future, May 2011 (www.northumberland.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=10150)
- Older People in Northumberland – A Longer Term View
- Northumberland Carers’ strategy 2008-2013
- Included as containing useful information but not including information specific to Ponteland
- Northumberland Joint Strategic Needs Assessment (JSNA)(www.northumberland.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=8119)
- Ready for Ageing? House of Lords Select Committee on public Service and Democratic Change, 5 March 2013
OTHER RELEVANT EVIDENCE
- Bus Service Timetables
- Northumberland Community Transport Policy
- Public Transport Strategy : 2011-16
3. ADDITIONAL EVIDENCE TO BE GATHERED
- Questionnaire to local residents including organisations
INTERVIEWS & ORGANISATIONAL ENGAGEMENT
- Older People
- Ageing Well in Ponteland
- Alzheimer’s Society
- Contact the Elderly
- Churches Together
- Fair Trade Society
- Friends of Ponteland Park
- Merton Hall
- Patient Forums (First verbal consultation only)
- Ponteland Bowling Club
- Ponteland Community Partnership
- Ponteland Leisure Centre (First verbal consultation only)
- Ponteland Leisure Centre Stakeholder’s Forum
- Ponteland Ramblers Association
- Ponteland Social Group
- Ponteland Rotary
- Senior Gentlemen’s Club
- Social Eyes
- Royal Voluntary Service (formerly WRVS)
- Tolsa Travel
- Valley Care (Telecare providers)
4. KNOWN KEY ISSUES
- Percent of older people in population 35.4% over 60
- A further 23% fall into 45-59 category
- Lack of transport
- To Primary Care Centre, dentists etc
- To shops and social activities
- Lack of availability of appointments at GP surgery, currently 2-3 weeks wait at one surgery
- The capacity of the existing Primary Care Centre to expand to cater for further population growth.
- The two surgeries have little capacity within current provision although there is potential to expand due to the specifics of the building.
- Concentration of provision of services in one place and with poor access to transport/parking
- Lack of provision in other parts of Ponteland, particularly in Darras Hall.
- Lack of provision of NHS dentists
- Safety of footpaths/walkways and accessible road crossings for older and less mobile people
- Telecare provision to enable people to stay independent at home.
5. INTERFACES WITH OTHER TOPIC GROUPS
- Lack of two bedroom accommodation preventing older people being able to downsize and stay in Ponteland.
- Lack of affordable housing means fewer available local care worker employees. Currently high number from out of the area.
- Any further significant housing development in or around Ponteland could have a deleterious impact on healthcare services in the village unless those services can grow to meet the increased demand.
- Lack of appropriate transport for older people.
- Inadequate Provision of accessible footpaths/walkways and crossings.
- Inadequate Provision of parking.
- Lack of leisure services provision aimed at helping people to keep fit, especially provision suitable for older people and those with impaired physical functioning. The link between keeping fit and being healthy is well-established.