Click Here for Rural Business Survey 2015
Click here for Ponteland Business Confidence Report 2014
Click here for Market Town Benchmarking Report 2013
Final – Click here for Topic Paper – Local Economy
Our aim to seek creative ways in re-energising the centre of Ponteland, main street and the Broadway.
Look towards local sustainable economic growth and match to local employment.
Create imaginative ways for new opportunities in Leisure & Tourism.
- The existing shopping facilities subject of a major improvement.
- There is a need to retain an industrial estate, with the possibility of being relocated in order to free up land for other uses.
- Some opinion that they would prefer to work in Ponteland.
- Facilities for visitors of low importance.
- Carried out an existing assessment of Retail, Commercial, Industrial, Rural, Tourism & Leisure.
- Carried out a proposed assessment of Retail, Commercial, Industrial, Rural, tourism & Leisure.
1. PROPOSED SCOPE OF WORK
- To identify and encourage employment opportunities for sustainable economic growth across the Civil Parish
- To enhance, diversify and improve the range of shops and services within the commercial centre of Ponteland and Broadway.
- To promote innovative solutions for business, leisure and tourism so that the unique character of Ponteland is maintained and enhanced.
2. EXISTING EVIDENCE BASE
- Ponteland Town Council Local Plan May 2012 [withdrawn]
- Map of Civil Parish of Ponteland
- Map of Commercial Centre of Ponteland.
- Ponteland Business Confidence Survey 2014
- Feedback from Local Community Engagement
- Local Estate Agent Property Availability and Rental Data.
- NCC Employment Land and Premises Demand Survey
- National Planning Policy Framework
- NCC Core Strategy Documents
- Northumberland County Council website.
OTHER RELEVANT EVIDENCE (Including Planning Policy relevance)
- Census and Employment Data
- Public Transport availability
- Existing and future local business/ retail feedback.
3. ADDITIONAL EVIDENCE TO BE GATHERED
- Civil Parish Business Confidence Survey, commissioned in November 2015.
- Research available local employment data including home working.
- Review feedback from Consultation Events.
INTERVIEWS & ORGANISATION ENGAGEMENT
- Meeting on 25/11/2015 with Ponteland Business Owners.
- Meeting on 17/11/2015 with Merton Way landowner’s agent.
- Engage with Arch and NCC regarding Merton Way re-development.
- Follow up meeting[s] with local business owners and Ponteland business forum.
4. KNOWN KEY ISSUES
Primary goals are to:
- Improve car parking for existing and emerging businesses,
- Relieve the local road infrastructure pressure in and around Ponteland,
- Improve the retail offer,
- Protect and enhance the unique character of Ponteland,
- Encourage diversification and innovative business solutions across the civil parish,
- Improve and integrate Merton Way, Meadowfield and Main Street,
- Create a central community hub with a new library.
5. INTERFACES WITH OTHER TOPIC GROUPS