Our aim to review traffic solutions for local congestion at peak times, heavy goods vehicles and traffic heading north to Scotland from the ferry crossing in high season.
With safety in mind, encourage cycle paths and pedestrian footpaths as an alternative means of transport.
- Concern over traffic congestion
- Support in principle of a northern link road around Ponteland if a suitable route could be agreed.
- Traffic congestion in the vicinity of local schools is considered to be dangerous as well as inconvenient.
- A split view on extending the metro line to Ponteland.
- Review the need for a relief road around Ponteland village.
- Seek alternative methods for local transport within Ponteland.
- Review public car parking spaces for future needs.
1. PROPOSED SCOPE OF WORK (i.e. Topics to be addressed)
- Traffic congestion
- Condition & maintenance of existing road network
- Planned improvement schemes
- Accident black spots
- Cycle way provision
- Footpath provision
- Car Parking
- Public transport
- Newcastle Airport Masterplan
2. EXISTING EVIDENCE BASE
- Initial Community Survey Results
- Ponteland Town Council draft Neighbourhood Plan (withdrawn)
- Recent major planning applications
- Local traffic surveys
- Local traffic accident data
- Local traffic violation enforcement statistics
- Previously completed by-pass studies Newcastle Airport Development Masterplan
- Airport watch bulletins
- Bus service timetables & route maps
- Newcastle metro development/modernisation Masterplan Regional Spatial Strategy, NE and Technical Paper 10-Transport
- Integrated Regional Framework for the North East of England
- NEE Greenhouse Gas Emissions baselines & Trajectories Study
- Better Health, Fairer Health Strategy for 21st century Health & Well-being in NEE
- Northumberland Local Transport Plan 2011-2026
- Northumberland Public Transport Strategy 2011 Northumberland Parking Strategy
- Northumberland Town Centres Retail Study
- Northumberland Key Land Use Impact Study
- Inherited and emerging core strategy documents
- National Planning Policy Framework
OTHER RELEVANT EVIDENCE (Including Planning Policy relevance)
- National Planning policy Framework(NPPF)
- Emerging Northumberland Core Strategy
- Castle Morpeth District Local Plan
- Department of Transport Traffic Forecast
3. ADDITIONAL EVIDENCE TO BE GATHERED
- NCC Number plate recognition survey
INTERVIEWS & ORGANISATION ENGAGEMENT
- NCC Highways Department
- Highways Agency
- Newcastle International Airport
- Local businesses
- Northumbria Police
4. KNOWN KEY ISSUES
- Traffic congestion through the centre of the village generally
- Traffic congestion in the morning and evening due to the “school run”
- Ponteland suffers from a disproportionate number of children attending local schools from outside the civil boundary with consequential early morning traffic congestion in the village centre and in the vicinity of the schools
- Is the capacity of the existing highway network through and within Ponteland sufficient to support further significant development in and around the village without major infrastructure investment?
- Provision of a relief road?
- Route of a relief road?
- Would a relief road around Ponteland carry the support of the majority of the community subject to a route being agreed and funding being available?
- Has the previously designated protected zone for a possible future relief road already been compromised by more recently approved developments?
- Is the existing junction of Callerton Lane with Stamfordham Road adequate for the volume of traffic using this southerly exit from ponteland at peak traffic times
- Issues with “Dobbies” roundabout
- Issues with the “Diamond” traffic lights and North Road/A696 roundabout
- Speeding in residential areas
- Speeding along Cheviot View
- Improvements to cycle ways
- Condition & maintenance of existing highway footpaths
- Is there sufficient car parking in the village centre to support local businesses, attract visitors and encourage greater use of public transport for journeys to and from Newcastle?
- Lack of suitable car parking signage
- Unreliability of public transport
- Provision of better public transport
- Possible extension of Metro system into Ponteland
- Would there be support for a local “hopper” bus service from the village to a public transport hub at the Airport i.e. bus & metro?
- Newcastle Airport Masterplan and possible increased road traffic, aircraft noise and pollution
- Increased car parking provision at the airport with the reduction of green space and increased light pollution
- Extension to airport associated businesses and impact on village
5. INTERFACES WITH OTHER TOPIC GROUPS
- LOCAL ECONOMY
- YOUTH PROVISION
- COMMUNITY WELLBEING
- NATURAL ENVIRONMENT